Monday, January 3, 2011

are you one of these people?


Driving my car is one of my favorite times to notice... notice how the light is shaping the world around me. The very stimulus of vision is a very complex law of physics, but we all have the sense of sight. What is it that creates what we see? The answer very simply put is light! So while driving I take time to notice what light is doing to the world around me. I pay attention to the road of course, but I am constantly fascinated with what the light is doing to the cars, road, telephone poles, mountains, buildings and other objects that surround me. I am also keenly aware of the specific textures of these objects.
I particularly pay attention to what types and directions of light are bringing out texture in all we see. I remember my first photography class and working with black and white film. The film always seemed to record texture better in black and white. I began to search for light that would enhance a subjects texture through direction. Thats when i started noticing lighting situations from the car . I would drive along and stop and shoot anything that looked interesting.
Right now I am sitting in my office looking at the arm chair in front of me. There is beautiful window light coming from an east facing window. The light seems to just fall on the chair perfectly, creating both shape and texture. I love looking for sweet little examples like this in everyday life.
I hope all of you can benefit as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment